404-788-8232 mpalmiter@gsu.edu

Week 1 - January 14th

Where we have been defines where we are going.

Readings and Learning Objectives

Readings:

Take a look at the articles on the class blog – found in the menu on the left side.

Stone – Part I – The Market and the Polis

Karger – chapters one and two – click here

Objectives

Understanding Stone’s concept of the Polis.

Gain a clear understanding of the structure of the course.

Discuss the process for following a bill in the GA legislature.

Instructor Materials

Stone Part I – Instructor Video

I am providing a “lecture” video for each of the chapters in the main course texts.  I try to keep them somewhat entertaining, but I can’t promise as there is no opportunity for conversation.  When I can, I break them into smaller parts, but feel free to do that on your own when you listen to them.  I also include the PowerPoint file HERE.  

Karger – Review of Social Welfare History

Powerpoint File Here

PDF of the chapters here.

Karger Video:  

This video walks through the material from Karger, which for most of you should be a review of information you got in other classes. Just thought it important to have it here.

Blog Posts and Additional Article

The two listed here are from last year.  If you have the time, it might be worth your while to remember where we were then…..

Push or Pull

Supplemental Materials

Get familiar with the library research page and the website for the Georgia General Assembly.

Subscribe to the New York Times for $1 / week as a student.  NOW!

Here are the AJC political resources.  SUBSCRIBE NOW!  You will be glad you did.  At $6 / month for the digital subscriptions, for 3 months you get a textbook for $18.  Do it!

Assignments for the Week

For this week your assignment is to read the first chapter/ section in Stone.  We will discuss the concept of the Polis in class on Friday, the 18th.